Patient Transport Service

There are two types of transport support available to help you get to your hospital or clinic appointment.

The Medical Non-Emergency Transport service (MNET) is a free service provided to and from hospital appointments for patients with a medical need for transport. It's commissioned jointly by NHS Scarborough and Ryedale and NHS Vale of York CCGs and is provided by Yorkshire Ambulance Service.

The Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS) is for patients who do not qualify for PTS, but who may be able to claim a refund for reasonable travel costs to appointments if they are on low incomes, or are in receipt of qualifying benefits.

Further details on both schemes are below.

Medical Non-Emergency Transport (MNET)

Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust provides NHS-funded transport for eligible people in Scarborough, Ryedale and the Vale of York who are unable to travel by other means due to their medical condition, and who need to attend hospital outpatient clinics and community-based care, are being discharged from hospital or need life-saving treatment such as chemotherapy or renal dialysis. You can read more on the NHS Vale of York CCG website.

How do I arrange an MNET booking

When travelling to your appointment, please first consider using local buses and taxis. If you are unable to use these due to medical reasons please contact the MNET team on 0300 330 2000 or visit the YAS website

You will be asked questions to determine your eligibility and will need your appointment details. If you are not eligible there are alternative services available, including voluntary sector solutions.

Further Information for Patients

Further Information for Health Care Professionals

Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS)

Patients who are not eligbile for Medical Non-Emergency Transport may be able to claim a refund for travel costs under the HTCS. This covers reasonable costs of travelling to hospital or other NHS premises for NHS-funded treatment or diagnostic tests arranged by a doctor or dentist. To be eligible, the patient must be on a low income or in receipt of qualifying benefits; and be unable to get a friend or relative to take them.

Further details can be found on the NHS England website.

As a general rule your reimbursement should be made by the hospital where you have attended for treatment. However, where this is not possible, an HC5 form should be completed and sent together with your travel receipts to:

NHS Business Services Authority, Bridge House, 152 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 6SN.

You can make a postal claim up to three months after your appointment has taken place.

What we will pay

You may claim for the travel costs of one helper to come with you, if this is considered medically necessary. The relevant section of the HTCS claim form must be completed by a member of medical staff.

Public transport

You may claim for the cheapest form of public transport available, including concessionary and promotional fares.

Private car

You may claim a locally agreed mileage rate of 15p per mile to and from your home address (determined by Google Maps) plus parking charges. You may not claim for any penalty notices.


As a rule taxis fares are not refunded but are paid at private car rates (as above). Patients are assessed on an individual basis.

There is further information available on the patient transport service in this presentation.