Dysphagia (Swallowing Difficulties) – Information for GPs
Referral Criteria / Commissioning position
Any dysphagia warrants further investigation. This may not be an ENT problem. It may be in the realm of the gastroenterologists or neurologist or even the cardiothoracic surgeons depending on the complete picture.
Investigations prior to referral
CXR – exclude sinister non-ENT causes
Information to include in referral letter
The GP referral letter should contain:
- The length of time and the details of onset of the dysphagia
- Is the dysphagia present all the time?
- Any associated features
- Relevant past medical/surgical history
- Drug history (prescribed and non-prescribed)
- Current regular medication
- Smoking status
- Alcohol consumption