Allergy referral – Information for GPs
Referral criteria / commissioning position
Refer to Dermatology only if there is a dermatological manifestation.
Patients with a wheeze, food allergy or anaphylaxis should not be referred to dermatology – adult patient should be referred to a consultant immunologist and children to a consultant paediatrician.
All other requests should be submitted to the Individual Funding Request (IFR) panel prior to referral.
Investigations prior to referral
Information to include in the referral letter
- Description of symptoms and duration (if required grounds of clinical exceptionality for IFR)
- Details of treatments and measures tried including outcomes
- Drug history (prescribed and non-prescribed)
- Relevant past medical/surgical history
- Current regular medication
- Smoking status
- Alcohol consumption