Patient Relations - Compliments Complaints and Concerns

Your Expereince of NHS Services

Administration of Patient Relations Services by Scarborough Borough Council

Who should you make a complaint to?

Making a complaint

Who can complain?

How do I make a complaint?

When should I make a complaint?

What happens if my complaint involves a number of different organisations?

Where do I send my complaint?

Consent – what am I agreeing to?

What if I don’t want to raise my complaint with the service involved?

Investigation and improving services

What happens if I am unhappy with the response?

Local Healthwatch


Your experience of NHS services

We welcome your feedback on local NHS services, positive or negative, as this helps us to improve services for patients.

We need to know if you, your relative or someone you care for, has not received a good service. Please be assured that raising a concern or complaint will not affect your care or treatment in any way.

If you are unhappy with the treatment or service you have received from NHS services, you have the right to make a complaint, have it looked into and receive a response. You can also raise your concerns immediately by speaking with the staff involved.

If you’re really pleased with one of the services we commission, please send us your compliment and we will pass it on. Or, if you wish to raise a concern or make a complaint, please let us know by contacting us by phone, letter or email.

Phone: 01723 383638
Address: NHS Scarborough and Ryedale Clinical Commissioning Group, Scarborough Town Hall, York House, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG


Administration of Patient Relations Services by Scarborough Borough Council

Please note that the administration of patient relations and complaints is carried out by Scarborough Borough Council (SBC) on behalf of NHS Scarborough and Ryedale CCG.  This means that whilst the response you receive has been prepared by SBC the relevant teams at the CCG who are responsible for that aspect of healthcare, have been involved in investigating the complaint or providing information to your query. All responses are also agreed by the CCG prior to being issued and information will not be shared beyond the CCG and the complaints and patient relations team at SBC without consent.

In order for SBC to provide this service they will need to make up a file containing details of the complainant and the complaint they are making. Information they may hold electronically or write down may include:
• Basic details such as name, address.
• Details of health care conditions relevant to the complaint.
• Information from other health care professionals and those who provide care relevant to the complaint.

If further information is needed from organisations who have delivered your care, such as your GP or service provider we will ask for your consent before we approach them for any information we require. If you do not wish to give consent we may still be able to provide you with a more general response. Further information on how we use a complainant’s information to investigate a complaint is explained below.

SBC also ensures its compliance with the Data Protection Act and details of how they do this can be found here.


Who should you make a complaint to?

You can raise your concerns immediately by speaking with the staff involved in your care. Alternatively the following organisations will be able to help you make a complaint depending on what service you wish to complain about


What service you wish to complain about Who to make a complaint to Contact details





  The service provider or NHS England who is 
   responsible for commissioning these services.


  Tel: 0300 311 22 33

  NHS England,
  PO Box 16738,
  B97 9PT

  Scarborough Hospital

  Malton Hospital

  York Hospital

  Bridlington Hospital

  York Hospital NHS Foundation Trust which is
  responsible for the management of these hospitals

  Patient Experience Office

  Tel: 01904 726262


  Patient Experience Office
  York Teaching Hospital NHS
  Foundation Trust
  The York Hospital
  YO31 8HE

  Hull Royal Infirmary

  Castle Hill Hospital

  Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
 Responsible for the management of these hospitals

  Patient Advice and Liaison

  Tel: 01482 623065


  Patient Advice Liaison Service
  Alderson House
  Hull Royal Infirmary
  Anlaby Road
  HU3 2JZ

  Mental Health Services   Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust is    responsible for delivering mental health services in our area

  Patient Advice and Liaison Service

  Freephone: 0800 052 0219
  Tel: 01642 283546
  Mobile: 077755 18086


  Patient advice and liaison services,
  Flatts Lane Centre,
  TS6 0SZ

  Ambulance Services

  Patient Transport Services

  Yorkshire Ambulance Service is the provider

  Patient Relations Team

  Telephone: 0345 122 0535

  Patient Relations Team
  Yorkshire Ambulance NHS Trust
  Springhill 2
  Brindley Way
  Wakefield 41 Business Park
  WF2 0XQ

  Commissioning decisions

  Funding decisions including IFRs

  Continuing Healthcare


  Children's Services

  NHS Scarborough and Ryedale CCG

Patient Relations

  Tel: 01723 383638


  Patient Relations
  NHS Scarborough and Ryedale CCG,
  Scarborough Town Hall
  York House,
  St Nicholas Street,
  North Yorkshire,
  YO11 2HG


Making a complaint

Below is a brief description of the process for making a complaint and what to expect.  The CCG also have a Complaints Policy and Procedure and this is available on the CCG website here

Who can complain?

Anyone can complain about NHS services or treatment they have received, or if they have been affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation, or primary care practitioner. If you are unable to complain yourself, someone can act on your behalf with your written consent.

How do I make a complaint?

The first stage of the NHS complaints procedure is called ‘local resolution’.  Local resolution aims to resolve complaints quickly and as close to the source of the complaint as possible.  Your complaint should be made to the NHS organisation who provided the service as listed above.  If your complaint is about your primary care practitioner (GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician) you may complain directly to the practice, or contact NHS England at the contact details above.

You can make your complaint in writing, by email, or verbally.  If you make your complaint verbally, you will be asked to sign and return a written record to ensure that you agree with the contents.


When should I make a complaint?

A complaint should be made within 12 months from the date it occurred or when it came to your attention.  In some cases if there is good reason why you could not complain sooner and it is still possible to investigate your complaint, it may be possible to waive the time limit.


What happens if my complaint involves a number of different organisations?

If your complaint involves more than one NHS organisation or the NHS and social care, you only need to make one complaint and you will receive a single, coordinated response.

If any part of the joint complaint relates to a primary care service, (that is a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician), the complaint will need to be raised with NHS England – their details are provided above.


Where do I send my complaint?

Details of where to send complaints are provided above.  If you are unsure, you can contact NHS Scarborough and Ryedale CCG for further advice.


Consent – what am I agreeing to?

Where appropriate the CCG may require access to medical records or other personal information in order to deal with the matter.

Information may be used for other purposes such as monitoring processes and improving service quality. Wherever possible, only anonymous information will be used. If identifiable data is needed for other purposes, then consent will be requested from the person who the information is about.

In some circumstances the CCG may disclose personal information to relevant parties where there is a legal duty or power to do so, for example if information leads us to believe that a child or vulnerable adult is at risk of harm or if a court order requires us to do so. In such circumstances consent may not be sought prior to disclosing the information.

Where you are contacting the service on behalf of another person, consent will be required from the individual concerned, to progress an inquiry.

Should you have any concerns about how your information is to be used, please discuss this with someone in the Patient Relations Team on the contact details above.


What if I don’t want to raise my complaint with the service involved?

Some complainants prefer to send their complaint to the commissioner of NHS services, NHS Scarborough and Ryedale CCG.  This is fine, however, the commissioner will consider which organisation is best placed to address your concerns.  The health care provider (for example the hospital or district nursing team) will normally be given the opportunity to respond to your complaint.

To direct a complaint to NHS Scarborough and Ryedale CCG please see contact details above.


Who can help me in making a complaint?

The Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service team can guide and support you though the complaints process.  They can help you put your complaint in writing and attend meetings with you.  However, the team does not investigate complaints.

Support to residents of Scarborough and Ryedale is available from the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service which is free to complainants. The service is provided by:

Cloverleaf Advocacy

Independant Health Complaints Advocacy Service
1 Devonshire Court, Green Lane Trading Estate, Clifton, York, YO30 5PQ


Phone: 0300 012 4212
Or via Healthwatch click here.


Investigation and improving services

When you submit a complaint, it is helpful if you could be clear what you would like to achieve as a result of making your complaint, so that the NHS can try to resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

Your complaint will be fully investigated in a manner that is fair to both complainants and staff.  If failings are identified during the investigation, any necessary changes will be made to improve the quality of services.  You will also be advised in the written response to your complaint of any service improvements.

Details of the CCG's Policy on the Reporting and Management of Complaints is available on the CCG website here.


What happens if I am unhappy with the response?

We aim to ensure that all complaints are handled well and that appropriate action is taken to resolve a concern.  We will do everything that we feel is appropriate in order to try and resolve matters to your satisfaction.

If, however, you remain unhappy after your complaint has been addressed, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review your complaint.  You should do this within twelve months from the date on which the subject matter of the complaint occurred.

The PHSO can be contacted at:

Helpline: 0345 015 4033
Address: Ombudsman at Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP

Further information about the Ombudsman is also available on their website

Local Healthwatch

Local Healthwatch supports individuals by providing information about access to services and choice to help enable people to take more control of their own health, treatment and care and understand and use the choices available to them.

For further information for your local Healthwatch, please visit their website

Contact Details:

Health Watch, Holgate Villa, 22 Holgate Road, York, North Yorkshire, YO24 4AB
Tel: 01904 683802
Address: FREEPOST RSJX - GCEE - TEEE, Healthwatch North Yorkshire, Holgate Villa, Holgate Road, York, YO24 4AB